Franklin Marquart Grigg
S/Sgt 37125928 615th
1919 - 1944
Left Waist Gunner onboard 42-31193 (Little Boots)
Lorraine cemetery, France
Plot : C , Row : 13 , Grave : 83
Franklin was born Dec 29, 1919, Lawton, Woodburry, Iowa.
He enlisted to the aircorps.
In 1943 he arrived in England to join the 401st BG
His seventh and last mission, Jan 29, 1944, Target: Frankfurt, the plane was damaged by flak.
On the return flight the plane was hit by 12 German fighters
Unfortunately, Franklin was killed
He was awarded with an Air Medal and a Purple Heart Medal
In 1944, when Franklin died on the age of 25 he left behind his family :
His father, William Grigg, age 61
His mother, Nettie Grigg, age 59
His brother, Chester Grigg, age 34
His brother, Lavon Grigg, age 32
His sister, Cecil Grigg, age 28
His brother, Robert Grigg, age 23
Mission to Frankfurt, germany, attacked by enemy aircrafts and blown up not much later.
Crashed near Worms, Germany
Little Boots crew
Top Row, L-R: Robert W. Beers - Howard Elliot Byrne - Unknown - Unknown.
Front Row, L-R: Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Clarence Edgar Young - Franklin M. Grigg
Individual casualty questionaire
Told by Capt. Robert Beers , Pilot.
- Name of crew member : Grigg , Franklin Marquart.
- Rank : S/Sgt.
- Serial number : 37125928
- Position : Left Waist Gunner.
- Did he bail out ? : Unknown.
- Last contact just prior to loss of plane ? : Reported enemy fighter attack a few minutes prior to
destruction of aircraft.
- Was he injured ? : Unknown.
- Where was he last seen ? : In aircraft prior to take-off.
- Any explanation of his fate ? : Believed killed in aircraft as enemy fire raked aircraft from nose to tail and
waist position afforded little protection as far as armor plate..
- Total number of missions of above crew member ? : 7
- Date and destinations if possible ? : Dec 1, 1943 Solingen
Dec 5, 1943 Paris
Dec 30, 1943 Ludwigshaven
Dec 31, 1943 Cognac
Jan 11, 1944 Oschersleben
Jan 29, 1944 Frankfurt on Main
Little Boots ( Boots was the nickname of Capt Beers wife )
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook