Laurence Ray Freeman
S/Sgt 38167419 612th
1915 - 1944
Tail Gunner aboard 42-31486
St Avold, Lorraine, France
Plot : B , Row : 31 , Grave : 35
Laurence was born 1915, Valencia, New Mexico.
On Sep 15, 1942, he enlisted to the air corps.
In 1943 he arrived in England to join the 401st BG
His last mission, 29 Jan 1944, Target: Frankfurt, the plane was attacked by enemy fighters.
Unfortunately, Laurence was killed
He was awarded with a Purple Heart Medal
In 1944, when Harley died on the age of 28 he left behind his family :
His father, John W Freeman, age 50
His mother, Ida Freeman, age 48
His sister, Marie Freeman, age 26
Mission to Frankfurt, germany, Aircraft last seen with #1 and #2 engines on fire after attack by enemy aircraft.
Front Row : John Tannahill - Harry E. Selby - Edward L. Harris - William C. Frye Jr.
Back Row : Patrick.J. Powers - Lawrence R. Freeman - Harold M. Roark - Weldon G. Martin - Harley B. Kennemer - C.E. Alvis ?
Individual casualty questionaire
Told by Sgt Thomas Edward Brennan , Right Waist Gunner.
- Name of crew member : Freeman, Laurence Ray
- Rank : S/Sgt
- Serial number : 38167419
- Position : Tail gunner
- Did he bail out ? : Not to my knowledge.
- Where ? : Plane hit (after explosion) approx. 20 km from Kaiserslautern
- If not , why not ? : Explosion of plane
- Last contact just prior to loss of plane ? : None
- Was he injured ? : Not to my knowledge.
- Where was he last seen ? : At loading of plane.
- Any explanation of his fate ? : I was informed by German Doctor that all of my "comrades" were dead.
4 bodies were thrown clear of ship ( from his information ).
I believe he was injured in final fighter attack.
He was not in a position where he could get clear at time of the explosion.
Could only locate 1 parachute ( other then my own ) after the explosion.
- Total number of missions of above crew member ? : 4.
- Date and destinations if possible ? : Jan 7, 1944 Ludwigshaven
Jan 21, 1944 Garentos, France
Jan 29, 1944 Frankfurt
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook