John Hathern Turvy
S/Sgt 35418681 615th
1921 - 1944
Tail Gunner aboard 42-31193 (Little Boots)
John was born in dec 3, 1921, Bath Greene, Ohio.
He had attended Bath school and was employed at the Miami Valley Publ. Co. and Wasbah Cement Co.
In Oct 1942 he enlisted to the air corps.
In Sept 1943 he arrived in England to join the 401st BG
His seventh and last mission, Jan 29, 1944, Target: Frankfurt, the plane was damaged by flak.
On the return flight the plane was hit by 12 German fighters
Unfortunately, John was killed
He was awarded with an Air Medal and a Purple Heart Medal
In 1944, when John died on the age of 22 he left behind his family :
His father, Brainard V Turvy, age 47
His mother, Minnie E Turvy, age 47
His sister, Elenor Turvy, age 28
His brother, Rodger Turvy, age 26
His sister, Bernice Turvy, age 17
Mission to Frankfurt, germany, attacked by enemy aircrafts and blown up not much later.
Crashed near Worms, Germany
Little Boots crew
Top Row, L-R: Robert W. Beers - Howard Elliot Byrne - Unknown - Unknown.
Front Row, L-R: Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Clarence Edgar Young - Franklin M. Grigg
Individual casualty questionaire
Told by Capt. Robert Beers , Pilot.
- Name of crew member : Turvy , John Hathern.
- Rank : S/Sgt.
- Serial number : 35418681
- Position : Tail Gunner.
- Did he bail out ? : Unknown.
- Last contact just prior to loss of plane ? : Reported on interphone wounded in first enemy aircraft attack.
Mumbled being hit in 2nd aircraft attack.
- Was he injured ? : Yes.
- Where was he last seen ? : In aircraft prior to destruction of aircraft.
- Any explanation of his fate ? : Believed killed in aircraft prior to complete destruction of aircraft.
- Total number of missions of above crew member ? : 7
- Date and destinations if possible ? : Dec 1, 1943 Solingen
Dec 5, 1943 Paris
Dec 30, 1943 Ludwigshaven
Dec 31, 1943 Cognac
Jan 11, 1944 Oschersleben
Jan 29, 1944 Frankfurt on Main
Little Boots ( Boots was the nickname of Capt Beers wife )
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook