Salvatore Anthony Trupia
Sgt 12133746 615th
1923 - 1944
Left Waist Gunner aboard 42-31518 (Doolittle's Doughboy's)
Margraten cemetery, Netherlands
Wall of missing
Salvatore was born 1923, Monmouth, New Jersey.
In Nov 10, 1942 he enlisted to the air corps.
In 1944 he arrived in England to join the 401st BG
His last mission, Feb 20, 1944, Target: Leipzig, the plane was attacked by enemy fighters.
Unfortunately, Salvatore was killed
He was awarded with an Air Medal and a Purple Heart Medal
Individual casualty questionaire
Told by 2nd Lt John Lavie Foster , Bombardier.
- Name of crew member : Trupia , Salvatore Anthony.
- Rank : Sgt.
- Serial number : 12133746
- Position : Left waist gunner.
- Did he bail out ? : No.
- If not, why not ? : He was already dead.
- Last contact just prior to loss of plane ? : Interphone went out after being hit.
- Was he injured ? : Very badly.
- Where was he last seen ? : In the waist.
- Any heresay information ? : When the engineer went back to see if every one was out , he found the Radio
man looking back into the waist and saw Trupia laying there dead.
He was hit in the leg and chest by a 20 mm shell.
- Any explanation of his fate ? : We were being hit incessantly from the rear , it is a wonder all of the fellows
weren't killed who were in the rear of the ship.
- Total number of missions of above crew member ? : 8
- Date and destinations if possible ? : Jan 21, 1944 Notre Dame de Ferme
Jan 29, 1944 Frankfurt on Main
Jan 30, 1944 Brunswick
Feb 3, 1944 Wilhelmshaven
Feb 4, 1944 Frankfurt on Main
Feb 5, 1944 Chatearoux
Feb 11, 1944 Frankfurt
Feb 20, 1944 Leipzig
Mission to Leipzig, germany, Aircraft attacked by enemy fighters, dropped down and out of formation.
Crashed on a field at Pilm, near Magdeburg, Germany.
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook