Harry Edward Selby
2nd Lt 0-748813 612th
1919 - 1944
Co Pilot onboard 42-31486
St Avold, Lorraine, France
Plot : B , Row : 32 , Grave : 35
Harry was born 1919, in Penn's Neck, ( Carney's Point ) Salem, New Jersey.
In Sep 18, 1941 he enlisted to the aircorps.
In 1943 he arrived in England to join the 401st BG
His last mission, 29 Jan 1944, Target: Frankfurt, the plane was attacked by enemy fighters.
Unfortunately, Harry was killed
He was awarded with a Purple Heart Medal
In 1944, when Harry died on the age of 24 he left behind his family :
His father, Harry E Selby, age 62
His mother, Virginia Selby, age 54
His sister, Margaret Selby, age 25
His brother Woodrow Selby, age --
His brother Woodrow also served in the Air Corps, but he came home, he died in Pocomoke, MD in 1983.
Mission to Frankfurt, germany, Aircraft last seen with #1 and #2 engines on fire after attack by enemy aircraft.
Individual casualty questionaire
Told by Sgt Thomas Edward Brennan , Right Waist Gunner.
- Name of crew member : Selby, Harry Edward
- Rank : 2nd Lt
- Serial number : 0-748813
- Position : Co pilot.
- Did he bail out ? : No.
- Where ? : Plane hit (after explosion) approx. 20 km from Kaiserslautern
- If not , why not ? : Explosion of plane
- Last contact just prior to loss of plane ? : None
- Was he injured ? : Not to my knowledge at target time.
- Where was he last seen ? : At loading of ship.
- Any explanation of his fate ? : I was informed by German Doctor that all of my "comrades" were dead.
4 bodies were thrown clear of ship ( from his information ).
I believe he was injured in final fighter attack.
He was not in a position where he could get clear at time of the explosion.
Could only locate 1 parachute ( other then my own ) after the explosion.
- Total number of missions of above crew member ? : 4.
- Date and destinations if possible ? : Jan 7, 1944 Ludwigshaven
Jan 21, 1944 Garentos, France
Jan 29, 1944 Frankfurt
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook