Harold Wesley Sanders
Sgt 35167939 614th
1917 - 1943
Right Waist Gunner onboard 42-37770 (Flak Rat)
Rhone American Cemetery - Draguignan, France
Plot : A , Row : 5 , Grave : 20
Harold was born Dec 11, 1917 in Illinois, later moved to terra Haute, Indiana.
Grew up at the Vigo County Childrens home and with some family members.
Graduated Cory High School 1938
On Oct 10, 1941 he enlisted to the aircorps.
In 1943 he arrived in England to join the 401st BG
His first and last mission, Dec 31, 1943 ,Target: Cognac, the plane was attacked by enemy fighters from
the rear and the plane went down.
Unfortunately Harold didn't survived this.
He was awarded with a Purple Heart Medal
In 1943, when Harold died on the age of 26 he left behind his family :
His father, J. Wesley Sanders, age 51
His mother, Daisy reba Sanders, died when Harold was 10 yrs old
His brother, Glenn W Sanders, age 24
His brother, Everett Sanders, age 23
His brother, John E Sanders, age 21
His brother, Paul C Sanders, age 19
His brother, Robert F Sanders, age 17
Individual casualty questionaire
Told by S/Sgt Joseph Lloyd Kirkner , Engr / Top Turret.
- Name of crew member : Sanders , Harold Wesley
- Rank : Sgt.
- Serial number : 35167939
- Position : Right waist Gunner
- Did he bail out ? : No Knowledge.
- Last contact just prior to loss of plane ? : Interphone - Oxygen check.
- Where was he last seen ? : Before take-off.
- Any explanation of his fate ? : Also believed killed by enemy fire.
- Total number of missions of above crew member ? : First.
Picture of "Flak Rat" shot down by a Fw 190A
Crashed at Morceux, France
Memorial at Mezos, France
Mission to Cognac, crashed at Belin, France
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook