Harold Miron Roark
S/Sgt 37375554 612th
1921 - 1944
Radio Operator aboard 42-31486
St Avold, Lorraine, France
Plot : B , Row : 25 , Grave : 2
Harold was born Feb 2, 1921, Camden, Missouri.
On Aug 4, 1942, he enlisted to the air corps.
In 1943 he arrived in England to join the 401st BG
His last mission, 29 Jan 1944, Target: Frankfurt, the plane was attacked by enemy fighters.
Unfortunately, Harold was killed
He was awarded with a Purple Heart Medal
In 1944, when Harold died on the age of 22 he left behind his family :
His father, Aubrey W Roark, age 57
His mother, Florence E Roark, age 48
His brother, Herbert Roark, age 23
His sister, Grace C Roark, age 19
His brother, Howard C Roark, age 17
Mission to Frankfurt, germany, Aircraft last seen with #1 and #2 engines on fire after attack by enemy aircraft.
Individual casualty questionaire
Told by Sgt Thomas Edward Brennan , Right Waist Gunner.
- Name of crew member : Roark, Harold Miron
- Rank : S/Sgt
- Serial number : 37375554
- Position : Radio operator
- Did he bail out ? : Not to my knowledge.
- Where ? : Plane hit (after explosion) approx. 20 km from Kaiserslautern
- If not , why not ? : Explosion of plane
- Last contact just prior to loss of plane ? : Routine raport of him to pilot to arrival of target
- Was he injured ? : Not to my knowledge.
- Where was he last seen ? : On ground as we loaded.
- Any explanation of his fate ? : I was informed by German Doctor that all of my "comrades" were dead.
4 bodies were thrown clear of ship ( from his information ).
I believe he was injured in final fighter attack.
He was not in a position where he could get clear at time of the explosion.
Could only locate 1 parachute ( other then my own ) after the explosion.
- Total number of missions of above crew member ? : 4.
- Date and destinations if possible ? : Jan 7, 1944 Ludwigshaven
Jan 21, 1944 Garentos, France
Jan 29, 1944 Frankfurt
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook