Francis Leroy Reed
Sgt 15382546 615th
1923 - 1944
Tail Gunner aboard 42-37809 (Carolina Queen)
Francis was born Jan 9, 1923, Marion, Indiana.
In Dec 6, 1942 he enlisted to the air corps.
In 1943 he arrived in England to join the 401st BG
His 6 and last mission, Jan 11, 1944, Target: Oschersleben, the plane was attacked by 2 enemy fighters.
Unfortunately, Francis was killed
He was awarded with an Air Medal and a Purple Heart Medal
Mission to Oschersleben, germany, plane was attacked by 2 enemy fighters and exploded
Told by 1st Lt. Harold Joseph Chapman , Pilot.
- Name of crew member : Reed , Francis Leroy
- Rank : Sgt.
- Serial number : 15382546
- Position : Tail Gunner.
- Did he bail out ? : No.
- If not, why not ? : Not known.
- Last contact just prior to loss of plane ? : Unable to make contact.
- Was he injured ? : Not known.
- Where was he last seen ? : Near Ball Turret position.
- Any explanation of his fate ? : It is believed he failed to clear ship in time.
- Total number of missions of above crew member ? : Six.
Bremen, Emden, Kiel, Abbeville, Solingen, Oschersleben.
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook