Nunzio D. Paola
Sgt 18139018 615th
1923 - 1944
Radio Operator aboard 42-31193 (Little Boots)
Old Winnsboro cementery, Winnsboro, Louisiana, USA
1923 - 1944
Nunzio was born Aug 1, 1923, Franklin, Louisiana.
He enlisted to the air corps.
In 1943 he arrived in England to join the 401st BG
His last mission, Jan 29, 1944, Target: Frankfurt, the plane was damaged by flak.
On the return flight the plane was hit by 12 German fighters
Unfortunately, Nunzio was killed
He was awarded with an Air Medal and a Purple Heart Medal
In 1944, when Nunzio died on the age of 20 he left behind his family :
His father, Sam Paolo, age 43
His mother, Mary F. Paolo, age 39
Mission to Frankfurt, germany, attacked by enemy aircrafts and blown up not much later.
Crashed near Worms, Germany
Little Boots crew
Top Row, L-R: Robert W. Beers - Howard Elliot Byrne - Unknown - Unknown.
Front Row, L-R: Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Clarence Edgar Young - Franklin M. Grigg
Individual casualty questionaire
Told by 2nd Lt Howard Elliot Byrne , Co-Pilot.
- Name of crew member : Paola , Nunzio D.
- Rank : Sgt.
- Serial number : 18139018
- Position : Radio Operator.
- Did he bail out ? : Dont know.
- Where ? : Near Worms, Germany
- Last contact just prior to loss of plane ? : About 5 minutes before lost of plane
- Was he injured ? : Dont know.
- Any explanation of his fate ? : My belief is that he was killed at his station as we were raked by very
heavy machine gun , 20 millimeter , fire.
This belief is based wholly on supposition
- Total number of missions of above crew member ? : Dont know.
Little Boots ( Boots was the nickname of Capt Beers wife )
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook