Weldon Gene Martin
Sgt 39308536 612th
1912 - 1944
Left Waist Gunner aboard 42-31486
Masonia cemetery, Brownsville, Oregon
Weldon was born Jan 23, 1912, Marion, Oregon.
On May 4, 1942, he enlisted to the air corps.
In 1943 he arrived in England to join the 401st BG
His 4th and last mission, 29 Jan 1944, Target: Frankfurt, the plane was attacked by enemy fighters.
Unfortunately, Weldon was killed
He was awarded with a Purple Heart Medal
In 1944, when Weldon died on the age of 31 he left behind his family :
His father, Barney S Martin, age 77
His mother, Elva M Martin, age 69
His brother, Linden R Martin, age 44
His brother, Denzel B Martin, age 41
His brother, Charles H Martin, age 40
His sister, Verna B Martin, age 38
His sister, Susan A Martin, age 37
His sister, Theda M Martin, age 35
His sister, Genevive E Martin, age 33
His sister, Enna K Martin, age 29
Mission to Frankfurt, germany, Aircraft last seen with #1 and #2 engines on fire after attack by enemy aircraft.
Front Row : John Tannahill - Harry E. Selby - Edward L. Harris - William C. Frye Jr.
Back Row : Patrick.J. Powers - Lawrence R. Freeman - Harold M. Roark - Weldon G. Martin - Harley B. Kennemer - C.E. Alvis ?
Individual casualty questionaire
Told by Sgt Thomas Edward Brennan , Right Waist Gunner.
- Name of crew member : Martin , Weldon Gene
- Rank : Sgt.
- Serial number : 39308536
- Position : Left waist gunner.
- Did he bail out ? : Not to my knowledge.
- Where ? : Plane hit (after explosion) approx. 20 km from Kaiserslautern
- If not , why not ? : Explosion of plane
- Last contact just prior to loss of plane ? : None
- Was he injured ? : Not to my knowledge ( see below ).
- Where was he last seen ? : At loading of ship.
- Any explanation of his fate ? : Same as for pilot , Sgt Brennan right waist gunner reported he " believed "
MARTIN was hit by fighter prior to the explosion.
He couldn't remember too much immediately afterwards due to explosion.
- Total number of missions of above crew member ? : 4.
- Date and destinations if possible ? : Jan 7, 1944 Ludwigshaven
Jan 21, 1944 Garentos, France
Jan 29, 1944 Frankfurt
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook