Eldon Earl Leavitt
S/Sgt 35740180 613th
1921 - 1944
Ball Turret Gunner onboard 42-31033 (Pee-Tey-Kuh)
Ardennes cemetery, Belgium.
Plot : A , Row : 38 , Grave : 20.
The date on his grave is wrong , 11 Jan. 45 ?
Eldon was born May 1, 1921, Marshall, West Virginia.
In Oct 14, 1942 he enlisted to the aircorps.
In 1943 he arrived in England to join the 401st BG
His last mission, Jan 11, 1944, Target: Oschersleben, the plane was attacked by 2 enemy fighters.
He was last seen jumping from waist door.
His parachute was seen opening. He must been killed on ground by Germans.
Leavitt always said if he ever hat to bail out , he was going to run for cover.
Well he may of been shot running away.
He was awarded with an Air Medal and a Purple Heart Medal
S/Sgt Eldon Earl Leavitt was found dead by school teacher Peterson in Esplingerode.
His body was buried in north east corner of cemetery Esplingerode on 20 Jan. 44.
Crew after 5th bombing ( Kiel ) on 13 Dec. 1943.
Herbert F. Williams , Robert F. Wagner , Warren H. Jumper , Stephen G. Nason , Leo Stann , Fred H. Rea ( interrogator )
Jack A. Duce , Alvin Gould , Clarence H. Bigg , Eldon Leavitt and Donald W. Ogburn.
Mission to Oschersleben, germany, near Hildesheim a fire in No.3 engine was started and blew up.
Individual casualty questionaire
Told by T/Sgt. Warren Harding Jumper , Engr / Top Turret.
- Name of crew member : Leavitt , Eldon Earl
- Rank : S/Sgt.
- Serial number : 35740180
- Position : Ball Turret Gunner.
- Did he bail out ? : Yes , second.
- Where ? : Over Duderstadt , or near abouts.
- Last contact just prior to loss of plane ? : None.
- Was he injured ? : Not when leaving.
- Where was he last seen ? : Jumping from waist door.
- Any heresay information ? : His parachute was seen opening. He must been killed on ground by Germans.
- Source : S/Sgt. Biggs , waist gunner.
- Any explanation of his fate ? : S/Sgt. Leavitt always said if he ever hat to bail out , he was going to run for
cover. Well he may of been shot running away.
I was captured soon as I hit the ground.
- Total number of missions of above crew member ? : 7 or 8th mission.
- Date and destinations if possible ? : 1st. Nov, 26. Bremen , 2nd. Nov. 30. Solingen.
Rest unknown, I just dont remember.
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook