Harley Benjamin Kennemer
Sgt 38052370 612th
1919 - 1944
Ball Turret Gunner aboard 42-31486
St Avold, Lorraine, France
Plot : E , Row : 20 , Grave : 28
Harley was born Aug 25, 1919, Brazoria, Texas.
On Feb 13, 1941, he enlisted to the air corps.
In 1943 he arrived in England to join the 401st BG
His last mission, 29 Jan 1944, Target: Frankfurt, the plane was attacked by enemy fighters.
Unfortunately, Harley was killed
He was awarded with a Purple Heart Medal
In 1944, when Harley died on the age of 24 he left behind his family :
His father, Enoch E Kennemer, age 54
His mother, Minnie Kennemer, age 55
His brother, Everett E Kennemer, age 31
His sister, Geneva M Kennemer, age 29
His brother, George S Kennemer, age 26
His ???????, J T Kennemer, age 21
His brother, Keneth R Kennemer, age 16
Mission to Frankfurt, germany, Aircraft last seen with #1 and #2 engines on fire after attack by enemy aircraft.
Front Row : John Tannahill - Harry E. Selby - Edward L. Harris - William C. Frye Jr.
Back Row : Patrick.J. Powers - Lawrence R. Freeman - Harold M. Roark - Weldon G. Martin - Harley B. Kennemer - C.E. Alvis ?
Individual casualty questionaire
Told by Sgt Thomas Edward Brennan , Right Waist Gunner.
- Name of crew member : Kennemer, Harley Benjamin
- Rank : Sgt
- Serial number : 38052370
- Position : Ball Turret Gunner
- Did he bail out ? : No.
- Where ? : Plane hit (after explosion) approx. 20 km from Kaiserslautern
- If not , why not ? : Explosion of plane
- Last contact just prior to loss of plane ? : None
- Was he injured ? : Not to my knowledge.
- Where was he last seen ? : At loading of plane.
- Any explanation of his fate ? : I was informed by German Doctor that all of my "comrades" were dead.
4 bodies were thrown clear of ship ( from his information ).
I believe he was injured in final fighter attack.
He was not in a position where he could get clear at time of the explosion.
Could only locate 1 parachute ( other then my own ) after the explosion.
- Total number of missions of above crew member ? : 4.
- Date and destinations if possible ? : Jan 7, 1944 Ludwigshaven
Jan 21, 1944 Garentos, France
Jan 29, 1944 Frankfurt
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook