Francis Gene Kelly
Sgt 32312328 614th
1920 - 1943
Left Waist Gunner onboard 42-37770 (Flak Rat)
Long Island National Cemetery , Farmingdale
Suffolk County , NY, USA
Plot: J, 16079
Francis was born Jun 16, 1920, Bronx, New York.
On April 10, 1942 he enlisted to the aircorps.
In 1943 he arrived in England to join the 401st BG
His first and last mission, Dec 31, 1943 ,Target: Cognac, the plane was attacked by enemy fighters from
the rear and the plane went down.
Unfortunately Francis didn't survived this.
He was awarded with a Purple Heart Medal
Picture of "Flak Rat" shot down by a Fw 190A
Crashed at Morceux, France
Individual casualty questionaire
Told by S/Sgt Joseph Lloyd Kirkner , Engr / Top Turret.
- Name of crew member : Kelly , Francis Gene
- Rank : Sgt.
- Serial number : 32312328
- Position : Left waist Gunner
- Did he bail out ? : No Knowledge.
- Last contact just prior to loss of plane ? : Oxygen check.
- Where was he last seen ? : Before take-off.
- Any explanation of his fate ? : Also believed killed by enemy fire.
- Total number of missions of above crew member ? : First.
Memorial at Mezos, France
Mission to Cognac, crashed at Belin, France
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook