Edward Lewis Harris
2nd Lt 0-809598 612th
1920 - 1944
Navigator aboard 42-31486
Bethlehem Cemetery St Avold, Lorraine, France
Fayette County, Tennessee, USA Plot : E , Row : 37 , Grave : 21
Edward was born 1920, Fayette, Tennessee.
He enlisted to the air corps.
In 1943 he arrived in England to join the 401st BG
His last mission, 29 Jan 1944, Target: Frankfurt, the plane was attacked by enemy fighters.
Unfortunately, Edward was killed
He was awarded with a Purple Heart Medal
In 1944, when Edward died on the age of 22 he left behind his family :
His father, Lewis V Harris, age 45
His mother, Effie Mae Harris, age 41
His brother, Billis Ray Harris, age 19
His sister, Maurine Harris, age 16
His brother, Francis Harris, age 15
His brother, Woodson Harris, age 12
Front Row : John Tannahill - Harry E. Selby - Edward L. Harris - William C. Frye Jr.
Back Row : Patrick.J. Powers - Lawrence R. Freeman - Harold M. Roark - Weldon G. Martin - Harley B. Kennemer - C.E. Alvis ?
Mission to Frankfurt, germany, Aircraft last seen with #1 and #2 engines on fire after attack by enemy aircraft.
Individual casualty questionaire
Told by Sgt Thomas Edward Brennan , Right Waist Gunner.
- Name of crew member : Harris, Edward Lewis
- Rank : 2nd Lt
- Serial number : 0-809598
- Position : Navigator.
- Did he bail out ? : Not to my knowledge.
- Where ? : Plane hit (after explosion) approx. 20 km from Kaiserslautern
- If not , why not ? : Explosion of plane
- Last contact just prior to loss of plane ? : Conversation about loss of interphone and fighter attacks
- Was he injured ? : Not at time of explosion.
- Where was he last seen ? : In his position as I started for cockpit.
- Any explanation of his fate ? : I was informed by German Doctor that all of my "comrades" were dead.
4 bodies were thrown clear of ship ( from his information ).
I believe he was injured in final fighter attack.
He was not in a position where he could get clear at time of the explosion.
Could only locate 1 parachute ( other then my own ) after the explosion.
- Total number of missions of above crew member ? : 4.
- Date and destinations if possible ? : Jan 7, 1944 Ludwigshaven
Jan 21, 1944 Garentos, France
Jan 29, 1944 Frankfurt
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook