B-17G " Flak Rat " 42-37770 614th
31 December 1943 Mission #10 Target: Cognac
31 December 43 , 0655 hours , engines are on.
21 planes are off on mission #10.
Target today is Bordeaux, France , but due to clouds they continued to the secondary target, a Luftwaffe Airbase at
Cognac , which was bombed with excellent result.
Just before bombing , 2nd Lt H.E. McDanal and crew , were attacked from the rear by enemy fighters ( FW-190 ).
The plane went down and several chutes were seen.
3 members RTD ( returned to duty ), also 1 member was RMC( Returned to Military Control ) 1 men POW
and 5 members were KIA ( killed in action ).
Missing Air Crew Report by Captain Ken W. Dauble.
Missing Air Crew Report : 1871
1. Organization : AAF Sta 128.
Command : 8th Air Force.
Group : 401st.
Squadron : 614th.
2. Place of depature : AAF Station 128.
Course : Heading of 80.
Target : Bordeaux, France.
Type of mission: Operational Bombing.
3. Weather conditions when last sighted : Scattered clouds, visibility fair to good.
4. Last know date : 31 dec 1943
time : 12:00
location : 44° 5'N - 1° 10'W. rear and SW.
5. Aircraft believed to have been lost as a result of : Enemy aircrafts.
6. Aircraft type : B-17G
serial no. : 42-37770
7. Nickname of aircraft : " Flak Rat ".
8. Engines : R-1820-97.
9. Persons listed below listed as : Battle Casualties.
10. Persons on board : Crew : 10.
11. List crew position , name , rank , serial no. and current status :
||Homer Ernest McDanal
||Ivan Wayne Eveland
||Lucas Harry Sprinker
||Daniel Hughes Goetsch
||Donald Lee Jerue
|Engr / Top Turret
||Joseph Lloyd Kirkner
|Ball Turret Gunner
||Hubert J. Reasoner
|Left Waist Gunner
||Francis Gene Kelly
|Right Waist Gunner
||Harold Wesley Sanders
13. Person believed to have last knowledge of missing aircraft :
Could , George. 1st Lt 0-900201
- At approximately 44° 5'N - 1° 10'W. aircraft was attacked by an enemy aircraft.
The plane ( Flak Rat ) began smoking and peeled off to the left.
It was then attacked by 3 more E/A, one of which was shot down.
One parachute was observed coming out of plane as it dived into the clouds.
Crew of 2nd Lt Kaufman , Richard H. 0-802121 614th
- At approximately the same position as above , aircraft was observed to have been attacked by E/A.
The ship lost some altitude and appeared to be heading for the clouds.
No particular damage was observed ( fire evidently went out ) and ship seemed to be under control.
A very short time after the ship was seen to emerge from the clouds still under control but lossing some altitude
and falling behind.
When last seen it was being pursued by enemy fighters, heading in the direction of Spain.
Mission to Cognac, crashed at Belin, France
This is the report a crewmember writes after he was back in England
- Your name : HOMER E. McDANAL.
- Rank : Capt.
- Serial number : 0-803840.
- Mission : Bombing Bordeaux 1. Cognac 2.
- Target time : 12:15.
- Altitude : 18.000 Ft.
- Where were you when you left formation : Due west of Bordeaux.
- Did you bail out : Yes.
- Did other members bail out : All mebers ahead of bombbay bailed, do not know about others.
- Tell all you know : Pilot, Co-pilot, Navigator, Bombardier, Engineer, bailed out of navigator`s escape hatch.
All others no knowledge.
- Where did your aircraft strike the ground ? : Believe near Morcenx, France.
- More information : All damage to A/C was done back of the bombbay ( to the best of my knowledge ).
Some of the men may have been injured. No communication was made after being hit.
Lt Goetsch had been making regular contact with them prior to the time of being hit.
Jean Laborde, a French farmer with whom I spend some time said that 3 bodies had been
found in my airplane (No proof that it was mine as several others went down near there)
They were buried on Sunday January 2, 1944 by the French people.
- Your name : JOSEPH LLOYD KIRKNER.( Died 24 Jun 1998 )
- Rank : T/Sgt.
- Serial number : 13114971
- Mission : 1st Bordeaux.
- Target : 2nd Cognac.
- Target time : Approx. 12:30.
- Altitude : 20.000 Ft.
- Where were you when you left formation : On I.P. Just ready to bomb.
- Did you bail out : Yes.
- Did other members bail out : Four others to my knowledge.
- Were when did you last see all members ? : Just before take-off , all in good health.
|| 1916 -
|| 1924 - 1998
|| 1921 -
||Stalag Luft 1 South
|Donald Lee Jerue
|| 1922 - 1943
||C - 9 - 7
|Harold Wesley Sanders
|| 1917 - 1943
||A - 5 - 20
||Hubert J. Reasoner
|| 1924 - 1943
|Francis Gene Kelly
|| 1920 - 1943
||J - 16079
|| 1923 - 1943
RH = France , Rhone LI = Long Island National Cemetery , NY , USA NG = New Gordon, Texas, USA
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook